The good qualities and strength of character of a woman are portrayed forcefully in the gripping short story ‘High Water Mark’; the role played by women in ‘The man of no account’ is quite insignificant – and what little is written does not focus on the sterling qualities of woman. –there are mild references to the superficial and emotional qualities of woman.
While the first short story is wholly dependent on the woman for its theme and plot the second short story is about Fagg and the role played by a woman is quite negligible. There is a vast difference in the author’s depiction of women in the two short stories.
|wordcount||1425 (cca 4 pages)|
1. Bret Harte –A popular short story writer.
2. Two stories taken for comparison are ‘High water mark’ and ‘The man of no account.’
3. Portrayal of Mary in the first short story – a lot of focus is on the positive qualities of woman – strength of character, courage , presence of mind , love for her child and trust in her husband.
4. The second story is predominantly about Fagg and the role of women is negligible.
5. Nellie in the second story – there are not too many observations or descriptions. What little is written is not too complimentary.
6. Conclusion drawn is that there is a vast difference in the portrayal of women in the two short stories.