PayPal error: "The credit card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit card number."
Some users have experienced problem paying for membership by credit card. We have found, the problem is on paypal side and it may has more reasons. The issue is little tricky because the rejection may happen with credit card which previously accepted and worked properly, then suddenly stopped working, or worse, payment will not be accepted even if user changes or switches to any other credit cards.
PayPal doesn’t give specific explanation on how to resolve the problem and make the payment goes through processing again, so we try to figure out most of possible causes that can result in such credit card rejected error:
1. The credit card is not accepted by PayPal when using it not signing into PayPal account is that the credit card is already been used in a PayPal account. If you’re using a credit card that’s linked or assigned to a PayPal account, try login to PayPal during payment process. You can change the source of fund to make the payment after logged in to use credit card instead of PayPal balance.
2. PayPal remembers a credit card details even when it’s already been removed from the account. The information also been remembered even if PayPal account which linked to the credit card is closed and deleted. In this case, try another credit card, or assigned the credit card to a PayPal account, and pay with account logged in.
3. According to PayPal source, there is a limit based on the number of times, the amount of the transactions, the type of merchandise being sold that a credit card can be used within the system without having to verify ownership by opening an account. The restriction is for security and fraud protection reasons. There is no workaround to this limitation, but you should be able to use another credit card. If there is problem, try using another email address. Else, register an PayPal account.
4. Closely link to reasons above, where some part of the transaction raises flag on the server that stop the payment. Two possible flags are on credit card or email address. Try changing either credit card or e-mail address or both when attempting to pay again.
5. Try using another web browser and/or delete cookies and attempt to pay with PayPal gateway using credit card again.
6. Contrary to some of the reasons above, if the credit card has been linked to an account, but not yet confirmed, try to complete all credit card information such as Card Verification Number or Security Code, and confirm the card by entering the PayPal code shown on the credit card statement on special refundable charge by PayPal.
In all case, the problem won’t arise if you add the credit card to PayPal account, and use it as funding source to pay the transaction through PayPal account.